Please report broken links.
Reasons Why I Believe in God
It all began with a book recommendation
“How often have I said to you that
when you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?”
Arthur Conan Doyle
Hi there! My screen name is “X-Evolutionist”, but please call me “X” for short. I’m a Christian married lady in my fifties. I’ve only believed in God for a very short time considering my age. This site is about the things I learned that got me to believe.
I was taught that life on earth came about by a process of time and chance from as far back as I can remember. It was all I had ever known. There was no need for God in my philosophy as the world made sense this way. Even though my world made sense without God, I was still curious if he existed. I know now that we were designed by God to have a desire to know him.
Over the years, I would often come across Christians and I would ask them why they believed in God. I always got the same two answers: either “I’ve always believed in God” or “The Bible tells me so”. Neither of these explanations were compelling arguments for the existence of God as far as I was concerned.
However, my world was about to turn upside down…
When I was over forty, I met some people who were Christians, and like always, I asked them why they believed that God existed. Surprisingly, they had something totally different to say. They said that they knew God existed because, according to them, the scientific evidence points to creation, and not evolution, and thus to a creator. Of course, I knew that they were ignorant, and I told them so.
But, they were very confident in what they believed. They basically dared me to read a book to see if they were right. I fought it for months, but, I ended up deciding that it wouldn’t hurt to read a book.
They loaned me a book about fossils. The book didn’t really have anything different than I had always been taught over the years in science classes, natural history museums and television nature shows, but it used some logical arguments that I had never heard before. It showed that the fossil record consists of separate and distinct types of animals with no blending in between as we are led to expect from the theory of evolution. The conclusion was that the basic types of animals were created by God and then genetic variation took off from there and developed the different types of animals within each group. For example, Collies, German Shepherds and St. Bernards are just different types of dogs, as are wolves and coyotes.
They loaned me another book about the origin of life, how complicated life is, and how difficult it would be for life to be an accident. The book concludes that life had to be created by God.
I read yet another book,
This book, like the others, concentrated on the scientific evidence against evolution and for creation. By the time I started reading this book I had an insatiable curiosity to read more and more books. Here is a list of some of the books I read that convinced me that God exists: My Reading List
Most of the books I read were by scientists. This really surprised me because all my life I’d been told that evolution was “scientific” and creation was “religious”. Now, I was reading books by scientists who believed that “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” as it says in the first verse of the Bible.
I was particularly interested in the scientific information because I had always been interested in science. But, as the authors were Christians, they always wove the reasons they believed the Bible through the books.
As I was learning about the fossil evidence and geology, etc, I was also learning how these things fit with what the Bible said about creation, the flood and the Tower of Babel, among other things. I learned that the Old Testament was compatible with physical and biological evidence.
My insatiable reading continued and I read many books. During this time, I also began dating and then fell in love with one of my friends who initially told me why he believed in God. I started going to church with him. Before church he would rehearse with the other musicians that did the music for church and I would read my books.
At some point into my reading I stopped believing that evolution was supported by the scientific evidence. But, on the other hand, I still did not believe in God or creation, either. This was a very confusing period of time for me. I also was reading the Bible by this time even though I did not believe in God. During church I would listen to the music and the sermon politely, I but never believed any of it – until one morning about nine months after I started reading that first book about fossils.
One Sunday morning during rehearsal I was reading one of my books and I suddenly started to cry. I didn’t know why. But I kept reading. I started to shake and continued to cry, but I kept reading. All of a sudden, I felt something that I can only describe as being filled by God. I suddenly believed everything. I believed in God, I believed that “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” and I believed that Jesus is the name of God.
My boyfriend was still rehearsing, but he could see that something was happening to me. When rehearsal was over he came to sit by me and we both cried during church. After church, the pastor’s wife came running over to me. It was obvious what was happening to me.
At this point I couldn’t talk because I was crying and shaking so much, but she led me through a prayer and I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior and became born again as a Christian.
This all happened during nine months during the year 1996. Since then, I have kept reading more books. Each book gives me more and more confirmation of what I now know to be true.
Now, I want to share the things I’ve learned with others. I want others to know that God exists, that the Bible is his Word and that his name is Jesus.
My website tells a lot of the things that I learned that convinced me of these things. Every topic on this site has links at the bottom of the page to articles by scientists who believe that the scientific evidence supports creation by God.
Here is a list of some of the books I read that convinced me that God exists: My Reading List
Even More About Me:
I’m just a regular person, just like you. I just happen to like to tell people why I believe in God.
By the way, a short time after I became a Christian my boyfriend proposed marriage and we are now very happily married.
Thank you for reading this far down! Sincerely,
Top 10 Questions About Creation:
See these articles by scientists and others for more information:
- The Scientific Case Against Evolution: A Summary* Part 1 by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- The Scientific Case against Evolution: A Summary* Part 2 by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- What Is The Difference Between Macroevolution And Microevolution?
- Did the Creator Use Evolution?
- Radioisotope Dating of Radioisotope Dating of Grand Canyon Rocks: Another Devastating Failure for Long-Age Geology by Andrew A. Snelling, Ph.D.
- Creationists holding DOCTORATES IN SCIENCE
- Hasn’t Life Been Created in the Laboratory? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Dinosaur National Monument: Jurassic Park Or Jurassic Jumble? by William Hoesch, M.S.
- How Do The Dinosaurs Fit In? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Origin of the Oceans by Frank Sherwin, M.S.
- When Did the Mountains Rise? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Ammonite Evolution? by Frank Sherwin, M.S.
- Are Fossils The Result of Noah’s Flood? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- How soon after the flood did the earth return to equilibrium? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- What Geologic Processes Were Operating During the Flood? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Did Noah’s Flood Cover the Himalayan Mountains? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Sea Dragons by Mace Baker
- Why Does Nearly Every Culture Have a Tradition of a Global Flood? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- What Geologic Processes Were Operating During the Flood? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- How Could Noah Have Built the Ark All by Himself? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- In Search Of the Congo Dinosaur by William J. Gibbons
- When did “Sue”, the Huge T-Rex, Live and Die? by John Morris, Ph.D
- What Came First, the Chicken or the Egg? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Where are Fossils Found? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Don’t the Fossils Prove Evolution? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- What Grows on Evolution’s Tree? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Did Dinosaurs Hunt in Packs? by John Morris, Ph.D.
- Ten Misconceptions about the Geologic Column by Steven A. Austin, Ph.D.
- The Rapidly Unraveling Thread between DNA and “Human Evolution”
- The Days Do Matter by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- Progressive Creationism by John C. Whitcomb, Ph.D.
- The ICR Scientists by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- Why ICR – And Why Now? by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- The Vital Importance of Believing In Recent Creation by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- The Literal Week of Creation by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- In The Beginning, Hydrogen by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- What Is A Creationist? by Kenneth Ham
- What Astronomers Don’t Know by Henry Morris, Ph.D.
- Were You There? by Kenneth Ham
- Online Creation Videos